Each bird here at “The Village” has a story. That story determines what type of person or family the bird will be happiest with. In order to do our best to ensure that your home will be a proper fit for you and your new bird for years to come, we require each potential adopter to go through a specific adoption process.
Finding the right bird
It’s best to not focus on one particular bird (or even a particular species) at first; this is why we have so few birds listed on the website. It is easy to become fixated on a species, story, or even a photo, which can prevent you from experiencing birds that may fit into your lifestyle much better. It is also easy to be overwhelmed by such a large number of choices. We select a small group of birds based on the information you provide and what we learn through the home visit. This opens up possibilities you may never have considered; we find our happiest and most successful adoptions happened this way, so we expanded this method for all adoptions beginning 1/1/15.
The Adoption Process
We follow a specific adoption process to ensure the best fit for everyone. You can expect some variation of the following:
- Fill out an adoption application online. Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed, so please do your best in answering the questions completely and honestly. If there is a question that is unclear or you do not know the answer to, feel free to contact us. We use this information to select from over 50 parrots, so being as honest, detailed, and as complete as possible will bring about the best choices.
- Attend one of the Birdie Boot Camp classes, held one Sunday each month from 2-5. Locations vary around Atlanta Metro.
- If taking on parrots is still a desire, you will be contacted for a phone interview and home visit.
- If ready to proceed, your next step is to visit the birds. Hours are by appointment only, usually on weekend afternoons when volunteers are available to assist.
- With most species of parrot, at least two visits are required before adoption takes place. All family members must be present for at least one visit. This is important because many of these birds were purchased on impulse, so we want to make sure you have plenty of time to consider everything involved in making this kind of commitment. We also want the bird to be somewhat familiar with you before you bring him or her into your home.
Please note the following:
- We do not ship birds under any circumstances.
- We are currently limited to adopting birds within a 2-hour radius of Atlanta, GA including: Metro Atlanta, GA, Chattanooga, TN, and Greenville, SC. Areas like Columbus and Athens are more difficult for us to get to, so the wait for a home visit may be longer than normal.
Once you and your bird(s) have decided upon one another, you will be required to sign a adoption contract, pay an adoption donation, and take your newest family member home!
Once you get home and begin to learn more about your bird, you may find that you have many questions. We are here for you; if we don’t know the answer immediately, we will find someone who does.
Thank you for your willingness to improve the life of one of these beautiful creatures!
Adoption / Foster Application
We are not accepting new adoption applications at this time.
We are currently working hard to renovate our bird rooms. We expect to open up new adoption applications later in the year. Thank you for your patience.